Don't worry. This expanded view is only used to allow editing of the content in this area (Twitter widget).
When logged out of the site or visiting the site like normal, this area will look and behave "normally"
Jesus expressed His great love and care for children by saying in the book of Mark – “Let the children come to me . . . then He took the children in his arms and blessed them” Mark 10:14
Believing that each young child is a unique creation and special child of God, Holy Cross Preschool will recognize each child for their individual qualities and abilities. We will foster his or her healthy self-esteem so that each child might become all that God created them to be.
The first years of life are critical in a child’s total development. Believing that children learn best through play, exploration and discovery, we will attempt to create a warm, accepting and loving Christ-centered environment where young children can experience joy and success in the activities that are carefully planned for their appropriate age and developmental level.
It is important for us to nurture the development of the “whole child” in order that each child might develop his or her full potential – spiritually, intellectually, physically, socially and emotionally.
Our Preschool students worship and praise our God every day through:
- Praise songs
- Hearing God's Word in our daily Bible stories.
We teach Christian truths and celebrate God's great gift of love in Jesus our Savior. Our children participate in a weekly children's chapel time in church in addition to daily Jesus time. They learn simple Bible verses to put God's Word into their hearts and minds. We love to sing our praises to Jesus. Young children need to know their Savior.
Social and Emotional Development
- Our children learn about sharing with others and caring for and about others as they progress in their social development at Holy Cross Preschool. While their individuality and creativity is encouraged, also kind hearts and loving spirit are developed throughout the day with adult guidance and modeling of the Christian spirit.
- Play is a particularly important mode of learning. Our play centers offer many experiential opportunities to learn to express our ideas. Play is our work in preschool.
- We offer valuable experiences in math and science with a hands-on approach to learning through investigation.
- Our 2 and 3 year old children learn about social interaction with other children. They also learn about colors and shapes and counting as they listen to many stories and poems, songs and rhymes to further their understanding and enjoyment of literacy.
- Our 4 and early 5 year old children learn the sounds of each letter, identify letters and numbers, and learn to understand the concept of number values and phonemic awareness.
- Our children enjoy both outdoor and indoor physical activity through free play and through guided play.
- We encourage the joy of the movement and coordinated muscle development in many ways using a large variety of materials to stimulate large and small motor development.
- Our preschool playground is an outstanding space. Play equipment is provided to encourage safe, active, fun learning in God's great outdoors.
Through the fine arts of music and the creative and artistic projects in art, our children enjoy self-expression and learn rhythm and movement.
We use a large variety of materials in our art expression. Our music comes from a variety of sources to encourage creativity, rhythm, fine motor skills and art appreciation.
Meeting times and class types for our Preschoolers:
- 2 Year Old Class meets on Friday from 8:15-10:15 a.m. Potty training is not required.
- 3 Year Old Class meets Tuesday and Thursday from 8:15-10:45 a.m. Potty training is required.
- 4 Year Old Class (age 4 by August 1) meets Monday, Wednesday & Friday from 8:15-11:00 a.m.
- Mixed Age Class is for 3, 4 and 5 year old children and meets Monday - Friday. The morning class meets from 8:15-11:00 a.m. and the afternoon class meets 12:30-3:15 p.m.
- Early 5's Pre-Kindergarten meets Monday through Friday from 8:15-11:15 a.m. This is for children who will turn 5 by December 1, 2016.
Our Lunch Bunch provides after class care until 3:15 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Our new Preschool Enrichment Program is for children that will be eligible for Kindergarten in the 2017-18 school year. This program meets at 11:00 a.m. - 3:15 p.m. (children need to bring a packed lunch). This program is designed for children to work with the Preschool and Kindergarten teachers in enrichment activities as they prepare for their Kindergarten year.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers about our Preschool:
What is the school year for Preschool?
September though May.
Do you offer different classes and times?
Yes! We offer a variety of classes within different time frames to suit the developmental needs of our preschool children and the needs of their parents.
Do you provide after-school care?
Yes! After care is available in our Lunch Bunch program until 3:15pm. Our Day School Before and After Care programs supplement necessary care times.
Are your teachers certified?
Yes! Our preschool teachers are trained and certified in Early Childhood Education.
Is your preschool accredited?
Yes! We are accredited through the National Lutheran Schools Accreditation.
What is your student/teacher ratio?
Each age group has an appropriate student/teacher radio according to state guidelines.
Have a different question about our Preschool?
Contact our Preschool Lead Teacher at 739.6532.
We also have an Admissions FAQs page for questions not specifically related to Preschool age students.
Preschool classes will explore an Apple Orchard, a Pumpkin Farm, a farm, Science Central, the Botanical Gardens, the Fort Wayne Museum of Art, a Walk to Wendy’s, the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo and a variety of other field trips.
The 3-year old Bugs Class will have classroom visits by the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo, a police officer and the McMillian Center.
Preschool holds whole-family events, Mom’s night, Dad’s night, Grandparent’s Day, Family Picnic, and a gifting of the Bible.
The older classes participate in Preschool-Kindergarten Chapel service every Monday. These classes also go to the school library and the gym once a week.
Preschool is dedicated to all the young children and families who walk through our doors. Children will learn to live together in Jesus’ love and forgiveness. We will work, learn and play with confidence. Our preschool is a hands-on, play-based learning environment. The age-appropriate class curriculum flows from one class to another. Preschool works closely with the Holy Cross Kindergarten program to make sure that our children are prepared and ready for kindergarten. All preschool families are given instructions to our private wiki page for communication and information.
Directions for eLearning days will be on our class wiki page. We typically send it home with the students.