Smoke Alarm Safety
Put Smoke Alarms in Your Home to Keep Your Family Safe
Almost 2,500 people die in home fires every year in the United States. Most of these people live in homes that do not have working smoke alarms. Smoke alarms save lives. Keep your family safe. Put working smoke alarms in your home.
- Smoke is poison. It can kill you.
- Smoke alarms make a loud noise when there is smoke in your home.
- Smoke alarms wake you up if you are sleeping.
- Put a smoke alarm on every level of your home and outside each sleeping area. Put a smoke alarm inside every bedroom.
- Smoke goes up. Put smoke alarms on the ceiling or high on the wall.
For more information, visit www.usfa.fema.gov/FireisEveryonesFight
To request a free Smoke Alarm, Carbon Monoxide Alarm, or Hearing Impaired Smoke Alarm from the FWFD: Submit the online request form or call the Fort Wayne Fire Department at 427-2809.